Thursday, June 19, 2008

Saturday Long Run with Friends

This Saturday's run reminded me how good it is to run with the pack. I started on my own at 5:30 and ran 5 miles from Lake Hefner to Nichols Hills Plaza where I met several fellow landrunners. My friends were planning an easy ten but Jamie had just bought a home and Karrie (instigator that she is) talked everyone into running to Jamie's new house and with our runners math it didn't seem like it would add much distance.

In all actuality it did add about three extra miles to the trip but they were well worth it. I'm excited for my friend Jamie who found a great home in a quaint tucked away neighborhood. Congrats Jamie.

Now back to the running, this one tooks us off the beaten course and past many of the establishments I frequented in my not so distance past. By any means when we arrived back at Nichols Hills plaza at mile 18 for my run, I felt strong and declined the offers of a ride and finished up with a strong 5 miles back to Lake Hefner in almost exactly 4 hours run time.

When I realized how close I was going to come to 26.2 it was very tempting to knock out the remaining 5k to get some revenge for my recent death march at Andy Payne. Ultimately the responsibilities of a family man were more important than stroking my ego so I left it at a good 23 miles for the day.

Lesson for the day - all miles are better with friends but especially long miles!

No comments: