Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Pre El Scorcho

With less than a week to the El Scorcho 50k I thought I should capture my thoughts on where I'm at, how I feel, my training, etc... The overwhelming emotion is "Blah". I hate to say it but last week and so far this week I've scrapped several early morning workouts due to wanting to sleep more than 8 hours or general apathy. On top of that , even though my last two weekend long runs have been relatively short I've still felt a significant lack of motivation and soreness the next few days. On the other hand when I do run my tempo and speed efforts are seeming almost too easy. I'm also eating a bit more than normal. I thought I'd been very conservative with my recovery after my 50 miler so I wouldn't have to worry about over training. Not sure whats going on but my effort and enthusiasm just aren't where I want them to be.

Now just to clarify; if anyone (myself included) things I am starting to make excuses to myself about my upcoming performance at El Scorcho - think again!

All of my races 26.2 miles and beyond have been disappointments from a time perspective. In each one of these efforts I have learned something valuable - BUT I'm starting to get a bit of stigma about race days - SO El Scorcho will be a success - it's just to psychologically important to me not to be. The question is just how high of a price will I pay for that success.

No comments: