Monday, July 7, 2008

Ouch!

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July. I certainly did. Saturday after very little sleep I headed out to the Lake Draper trails for a bit of running with my friend Reese. I planned on keeping things relatively short (under 3 hours) as I am still getting a grip on recovery after my 50 miler. Now mind you I feel fine but all the info I've read about endocrine system recovery after ultras has put me on the path of better safe than sorry. By any means we had finished two loops on the green course and decided to wrap up on the yellow. Reese ran me into the ground about 2/3rds into the loop when we decided to hammer a bit. After crying uncle and taking a bit of a walk break Reese let me lead for a bit. I was going at a pretty good clip on the flats when I caught a root, tried to recover and couldn't and ended up on my back facing back the way I had come. At the time I shook it off (after admiring the clouds for a few minutes) and ran the last of the loop in. By the end of the weekend it was clear I had pulled something in my lower back and hip during the fall. Still not sure whether it is a bruise that will quickly go away or a more serious sprain that may haught me. With El Scorcho right around the corner hopefully it is the former and not the latter.

2 comments:

Reese said...

I certainly hope the injury isn't serious. It was as usual nice running with you.

Charlie said...

yeah I do have a baby on the way... Im kinda wanting to get in a 50k or so before he gets here in September, because my running will probably taper off to "fit miles" instead of "training miles." Also, I have a buddy that is thinking about running the Mother Road again, and his pacer experience was sort of a crap shoot. So he might ask me to pace him since I would actually know what I am doing. So Im trying to ramp up the mileage now, so that once my son gets here I will have a nice few weeks of rest and bonding time.