Monday, July 13, 2009

Catching Up

Well after a long winter and an off season that went right through most of Spring I'm back. The details aren't that important but trying to rebuild base fitness after 4 months off (and a few months of inconsistent training) is a significant challenge.

This year I toyed around with a few different goals including running no ultras at all and just focusing on a fast 5k (for me under 20 mins would be the goal). Then my buddy Chisholm talked me out of volunteering for his 24 hour race 24 the Hard Way. Now I have to be honest I'm terrified of the idea of running in circles for 24 hours but if there is going to be a Ultra in my state I'm going to give it a shot.

It should be interesting. I had been loosely following a training plan based on Jack Daniels book on training. This method develops speed before endurance which is definitely a change for me. While I feel faster this year I am struggling with mental toughness in the later stages of a races as my recent pair of 8ks shows.

Hopefully by the end of the month I'll be back to 30 mile training runs but right now that seems a world away

No comments: